Singapore's 'living with Covid' plan threatens to fail

Singapore's 'living with Covid' plan threatens to fail

Singapore's Ministry of Health announced it would stop dining in and ban gatherings of more than two people for a month starting on Thursday. The decision was made due to the increase in cases of the Covid-19 virus.

UMMATIMES - The restrictions will be reviewed in two weeks when the country is close to reaching two-thirds of its citizens vaccinated on August 9.

Cases of the new Covid-19 virus have almost doubled. Health Minister Ong Ye Kung said 184 new infections were expected to be confirmed by Tuesday.

Singapore's daily number of new cases is only a fraction of those reported elsewhere in Southeast Asia. However, the tightening back after the Covid-19 easing is a setback for Asian business hubs looking to move on from the pandemic. Previously Singapore made plans to 'coexist' with the virus.

"We have to tighten these precautions so we can reduce our overall activity levels and slow down transmission. This tightening also serves to provide us with so that we can vaccinate more people, especially the elderly," said Covid-19 Task Force Chair Lawrence Wong.

Wong said once the situation stabilized, Singapore would have more lenient measures for those vaccinated. Singapore has stepped up testing after clusters of people were infected at KTV karaoke bars and fishing ports.

The KTV cluster has generated outrage and public questioning of police officers who facilitate prostitution and gambling. For the time being, they were allowed to operate as a restaurant. The government says law enforcement agencies have been stretched.

Singapore has reported more than 63,000 cases of Covid-19, mostly linked to an outbreak in migrant worker dormitories last year. Singapore ramps up completed vaccinations for half the city-state's population.